- General Information
- The “Royle Treatment”
- Riding the Bus
- Royle Family Directory
- School Supplies
- Lunch and Snacks
- Royle PTO Online Payment System
- Darien After School
To register your child in Royle School, please go to Darien Public Schools Website and select the District Information tab and then select Student Registration Process.
First Day of School
- Please see Darien Public School Calendar 2020-2021 for the first day of school.
- Kindergarten students (accompanied by a parent or caregiver) will have a 1 hour orientation session on the first day of school. Individual Kindergarten classes are spilt up into smaller groups by last names on this day. The principal will notify students in late August to let them know what orientation time they have been assigned. Kindergarten classes will start their first full day of school on the day after the first day of school for grades 1-5.
- Royle will hold a “Parade of Learners” for students in Grades 1-5 at 8:25 a.m. on the first day of school. Students in grades 1-5 will meet up with their teachers outside the school in the pickup area upon arrival at school. Parents are welcome to attend and create a “parade route” to cheer on the students as they walk into the school with their teachers.
- Regular school hours are from 8:25 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- Students should not arrive before 8:10 a.m. There is no adult supervision on the playground before this time.
Pick-up and Drop-off
- Pick-ups and Drop-offs are in the lower school parking lot to the left of the main entrance of the school.
- All cars should remain in a single line (no double parking) during drop-off and pick-up and parents should not exit your vehicle while in line.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle on the sidewalk side.
- Weather permitting, upon arriving to school Kindergarten students will meet at the Kindergarten playground (in the back of the school) and 1st-5th grade students will meet at the blacktop “Kid Zone” area near the outside of the cafeteria before going into their classrooms. On days when weather prohibits playground time, all students will be directed inside immediately upon arrival.
Teachers are available every morning to direct students to the appropriate place.
- Cars are NOT allowed to enter the bus loop at the main entrance of the school during pick-up and drop-off times.
- If you are going to park on Royle Rd, you may only park on the Royle school side of the street on Royle Rd.
Delayed Opening due to Inclement Weather
- If school is delayed to due to inclement weather, school will start at 10:25 a.m..
- Emergency Weather-Related Information
Early Emergency Dismissal
- Students will be dismissed at 11:00 a.m. for morning weather related early emergency dismissals (no lunch served).
- Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. for afternoon weather related early emergency dismissals (lunch served).
Scheduled Early Dismissal (for conference days and before certain holidays)
- Students will be dismissed at 12:55 p.m. on scheduled early dismissal days (lunch served).
Changes to a Child’s Dismissal Instructions
- The School Dismissal Manager website platform (Dismissal Manager) is the district’s main way of tracking elementary school students and ensuring their safe arrival at an alternate destination after school. Dismissal Manager replaces written notes, phone calls, and emails in notifying elementary school staff about a pickup time change, play date, or after school activity. Dismissal Manager enables parents to digitally notify school staff of a change in their child’s regular dismissal plan. Please note that Dismissal Manager must be updated by 1:45 p.m. on the date of the applicable change to your child’s dismissal instructions. Additionally, if a child is planning on attending an after school playdate both the host family and the guest family must update those instructions on the Dismissal Manager.
- School Dismissal Manager Welcome Letter (includes information on password resets and frequently asked questions)
PTO Updates and Social Media
- Sign-up for to receive weekly school updates with the Royle Blast
- Friend the Royle PTO on Facebook at Royle PTO FaceBook.
- Follow the Royle PTO on and Instagram Royle PTO Instagram.
The “ROYLE TREATMENT”
The Royle Treatment Committee would like to welcome all new families to Royle! The Royle Treatment Committee is made up of a group of Royle parents and its primary goal is to make each new family’s transition to Royle school a smooth one.
The Royle Treatment Committee will pair each new family with an informal “mentor” family in the days leading up to the start of the new school year. Informal mentor families are intended to act as a contact for the new family to have on hand before school starts. The informal mentor family is an existing Royle family that knows the “Royle ropes” and has volunteered to be available to help answer any questions a new family may have as they start to gear up for a new school year in a new school community.
Kindergarten Popsicle Social
Prior to the start of school in August, incoming Kindergarten students and their parents are invited to attend an informal meet and greet playdate to be held around the picnic table area of the Royle school grounds. Popsicles and water will be served. It is a great opportunity for the students and parents to get to know each other in an informal setting. There will be no access to the school for bathrooms or otherwise during this time.
Royle School Tour
- Prior to the start of school in August, the Royle Treatment Committee hopes to host a number of small group tours of the school building for new families. This is a great way for both the parents and children of new families to learn the layout of the school as well as important locations (like the administrative offices, cafeteria, nurses’ office, etc).
- The tour will start in the front hallway of the school.
- Teachers and administrators will not be available during the tour. Additionally, the tour will also not be going inside the classrooms.
Parent Welcome Coffee
In September, the Royle Treatment Committee hopes to host the new parents for a welcome coffee at the house of a member of the Royle Treatment Committee. Light refreshments will be served.
RIDING THE BUS
- Royle Bus Routes are posted 1 week before school begins in the Darien Times. If you have questions about your specific route please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at the Darien Board of Education.
- Throughout the year, buses can be early or late depending on traffic, weather and other conditions. Every bus has video surveillance, the school Principal and Vice Principal can request video footage when needed. Please arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
- Buses do not go down cul-de-sacs and/or private roads.
- For the safety of younger children (grades Kindergarten through 2), an accountable adult (parent or guardian) must be at the drop-off bus stop location. If an accountable adult is not at the drop-off bus stop location the Kindergarten/ K-2 student will ride the bus back to Royle School, and parents will be contacted.
- All Kindergarten students sit in the front of the bus during their Kindergarten year.
- The district tries to pick-up Kindergarten students in front of their house, but only if it can be accommodated on the bus route.
- The district strongly recommends that Kindergarten students ride their bus during the first two weeks of school to get used to the concept.
First View GPS Bus Tracking App
- Parents and Caregivers can sign up to track their child’s bus using First View parent App.
- This application is only intended to be used as an approximate estimate of where the bus is at any time. As such, a parent/caregiver should still plan to be at the bus stop at the scheduled time.
- On occasion, a substitute bus may be used on any route due to mechanical issues or otherwise and as a result, the GPS tracking system may not be function with the substitute bus.
Darien Public Schools use Aspen, a secure, Web-based school information management system to register for school, collect contact and medical emergency information for your children, as well as obtain parent consents and releases, and to distribute report cards and grades.
ROYLE FAMILY DIRECTORY
The Royle PTO creates an online family directory each year which allows Royle families to keep in touch with their classmates and other Royle students.
To register and purchase access to the Royle family directory please visit AtoZ Connect.
Complete school supply packages for the upcoming school year are sold by the PTO every Spring for a limited time. Information regarding the sale will be advertised in the weekly blast. If you are looking for a list of required school supplies after the PTO sale is over, please contact the school office.
LUNCH AND SNACKS
- Parents will be notified at the beginning of the year of classroom allergies.
- All classrooms are nut free.
- Elementary School Lunch Menu
- New students are strongly encouraged to buy lunch during the first week of school (if they intend on eventually buying lunch at school) as the lunch line process moves slowly during the first week and there are additional staff available to help new students during this time.
- A separate table is provided in the lunch room where students with allergies may sit. A student with allergies is encouraged to ask a friend to sit with them on the allergy table, so long as the other student purchases his/her lunch from the cafeteria to ensure that student’s lunch is allergy friendly.
Grades K-12 Payment Center
- K12 Payment Center is the online payment platform that is used to apply funds directly to your student’s lunch account online. Parents can also check the account balance and keep an eye on what your student is buying. Parents can also elect to receive a Low Balance notification email alerting the parent that the student’s account will need another payment applied soon.
- Visit the K12 Payment Center website to register. You will need your student’s district student Id # which can be found in Aspen.
ROYLE PTO ONLINE PAYMENT SYSTEM
All payments for PTO activities are made through Pay 4 School Stuff. Please click the link and follow instructions.
DARIEN AFTER SCHOOL, LLC ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS
- Darien After School, LLC, a private company, offers various enrichment classes to Royle students which take place immediately after school in the Royle school building. A schedule of classes offered at Royle can be seen at Darien After School.
- Dismissal Manager must be updated if your child participates in the Darien After School, LLC classes. Pick-up for the after school programs is at 4:10 p.m., by the lower parking lot near the school cafeteria at the “Kids Zone’.